Although education is compulsory and basically free, there are still many children that have never seen a school building from the inside. One main problem is the additional costs for school uniforms and material that can't be afforded by a majority of the poor population. Many of the children for poor families also need to work to support their parents financially instead of going to school. Therefore, the statistics are quite alarming. In the past few years, 20% of the children didn't go to school at all and only 56% graduated.
As a volunteer in Nicaragua in the field of education, you can help to raise these numbers. Within many programs, you have the opportunity to provide education to children and the community:
- support the learning progress by being a classroom assistant or an actual primary school teacher
- teach English
- provide children with an understanding of ethical principles and their various opportunities if they finish school
- increase children’s chances for a better future
- Planning educational games
- Helping daycare staff prepare meals
- Playing and interacting with the children
- Teaching basic classes to the children, for example, teaching them colors, shapes, numbers
Volunteers who help in this program field provide maybe the greatest impact on those who need it most. Quality education is the key to the positive development of a community.