If you’re a student of medicine or are thinking about a career in the field of
medicine or healthcare,
you should definitely consider a volunteer program abroad. Not only will you gain much experience, but you will also get to know a different working environment
and you will contribute to a health improvement of local people. These volunteer opportunities in the Dominican Republic will give you an
insight into the running and daily routine of a hospital or a neighborhood health clinic.
As a volunteer in the Dominican Republic, you will experience the contrast between Western medical practice and the realities of medicine in developing countries.
Activities as a volunteer in the Dominican Republic can include but are not limited to:
- observing, shadowing and assisting doctors and nurses during their work
- participating in patient care: comfort patients and assist in examining patients
- providing ambulance support when needed
- assisting, teaching and encouraging prevention, hygiene, and checkups
- assisting in developing educational materials and engagement strategies for various prevention programs using multimedia means
- helping regularly with hospital administration tasks and help improve procedures and workflow
- assisting occasionally with domiciliary health services, assistance, hygiene and information
- teaching English to doctors
Another area is dental healthcare. Oral health is an extremely important aspect and it is essential to provide appropriate dental care so that
even disadvantages communities have the opportunity to check their teeth regularly. If you want to volunteer in dental healthcare, you will be working at a
neighborhood dental health clinic or in a local hospital-based dental clinic.
Since you will be volunteering in the Dominican Republic, it is necessary to have basic Spanish skills, but an advanced level of Spanish will
open up more volunteer opportunities in the Dominican Republic. Hence, if your Spanish is pretty good, your involvement will be even higher.
The tasks of volunteer work in the Dominican Republic in dental healthcare can include but are not limited to:
- observing, shadowing and assisting the dentist
- encouraging and teaching prevention of oral diseases through proper hygiene and regular check-ups for professional cleaning and evaluation
(special prevention program for pregnant women)
- providing oral health services support when needed, which includes dental assistance, dental hygiene and dental therapy
- assisting the dentist according to your skills and experience with dental treatments: dental restorations, crowns, bridges, dentures, root canal therapy,
periodontal therapy and extraction of teeth as well as dental examinations and diagnosis
- also, you are welcome to work in other projects such as English and computer classes for locals
If you want to contribute your share and are passionate about healthcare, you should consider becoming a volunteer in the Dominican Republic.
This is your chance to use your skills to have a positive impact and simultaneously, you will experience challenges and an amazing working environment.