Poor education, failing the required academic standards, and lack of self-confidence lead to unemployment, hostility, and poverty. Providing quality education for children and empowering young people is the first step to end these problems and pave the way towards a better future for the next generations.
Due to a great amount of underfunded schools and children and young adults that are often overlooked, it is necessary and much needed to support in the field of education and integration. As a teaching volunteer in the Caribbean, you can support the staff in local schools and assist in the progress of children by providing extra help and attention or you can empower young people with special needs. There is a great variety of tasks you could be doing, depending on the volunteer program you choose.
As a volunteer in the Caribbean, yours tasks might include but are not limited to:
- working with individual or small groups of students
- helping with class work
- providing individual attention and assistance to the children
- supporting teachers in English and Mathematics
- assisting subjects such as art, dance, drama, history, social studies, geography, French, Spanish (dependent on your skills and needs)
- teaching children about your culture
- assisting teachers with preparing lesson plans and charts, educational games, small workshops
- teaching and assisting in a school with recreational, developmental and therapeutic activities for children and young adults with special needs
- playing and taking care of underprivileged children and young adults
- organizing and leading intercultural events and regular meetings for local community members and international volunteers, expats and travelers
- helping with fundraising events
- cooperating with other organizations
- assisting in English teaching
- assisting with maintenance and restoration activities of the school building
- assisting social worker with youth, family and community development
- creating your own project or activity
If you are especially interested in educational programs and want to support children and young adults with your volunteering efforts, there are many projects available in countries such as Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago and Saint Lucia.